Supported Terraform Repository Types
The JFrog Terraform repository solution supports a number of Terraform repository types and dedicated configurations, all customized to accommodate the Terraform environment specific settings and requirements.
The following table describes the Terraform repository implementation in the JFrog Platform.
|Terraform Repository Type||Terraform Type||Local Repository||Remote Repository||Virtual Repository|
|Module/ Provider||Select from drop-down list in Basic tab||No differentiation||No differentiation|
|Backend||Dedicated repository type||N/A||N/A|
Recommended Terraform Repository Setup
It is recommended to set up your Terraform repositories according to the following Terraform repository structure in the JFrog Platform to fully benefit from the full-fledged Terraform solution:
- Local Terraform Module Registry
- Local Terraform Provider Registry
- Remote Terraform Registry
- Virtual Terraform Registry: Aggregates the Local Terraform Module and the Local Terraform Provider registry
- Local Terraform Backend (BE) Repository.
- Create dedicated Module and Provider registries.
- Create a Terraform Backend Repository.
- Generate an Access Token between Artifactory and the Terraform CLI.
Generating an Access Token between Artifactory and the Terraform CLI
Perform this one time procedure to generate and Access Token between Artifactory and the Terraform CLI.
- Natively run the Terraform login to your Artifactory domain to generate an access token and save it in the Credentials file (
When you run the login, the following page opens.
The Terraform command line login process is displayed.
- You are routed to the JFrog Platform login page and the following page opens.
- Click Approve.
The following message is displayed.
- Close the page and return to the command line to view the success message.
- Next, perform a one time edit to the
~/.terraformrcfile to ensure that the CLI searches for the providers only in the Artifactory. For this purpose, we recommend only pointing to the Terraform Virtual repository.