Need help with other JFrog products?
Using Artifactory Key Encryption
If your Master service has Artifactory Key Encryption enabled, you should have synchronized over the
artifactory.key file from the Master service to your Target service as one of the preliminary steps before configuring DR. For details, please refer to Synchronizing the Artifactory Encryption Key.
Before you initialize DR, you can verify the Master and Target pairs that have been configured in the Configuration module under DR.
Hover over the Master/Target pair for which you want to initialize DR and click the Control Panel icon (or anywhere on the DR line) to display the Disaster Recovery screen.
Initializing DR essentially means setting up all the replication configurations that are needed for DR, meaning:
- Every repository on the Master service has a corresponding repository on the Target service
- Replication from each local repository on the Master to the corresponding local repository on the Target is configured. At this stage, replication is not yet enabled.
- Replication from each local repository from the Target to the corresponding local repository on the Master is configured but disabled. (This configuration will later be used during the Restore operation.)
- If the Master had additional replications, configured but not related to DR, these are duplicated in the Target, but are also disabled.
Make sure your Master and Target services have corresponding repositories with enough storage
It is up to your JFrog Mission Control administrator to ensure that each repository on the Master service has a corresponding repository on the Target service for replication. Before initializing DR, Mission Control will also verify that the target service has enough storage available.
Consider that repository
maven-local on the Master service has a replication configured to
my-local-maven on a service called Other service. For
maven-local to be DR protected:
- There must be a Target service with a corresponding
- Replication is configured from
maven-localon Master to
maven-localon the Target, however, it is currently disabled.
- Replication from
maven-localon the Target back to
maven-localon the Master is also configured, but this replication is also currently disabled.
- Replication from
maven-localon the Target to my-local-maven on Other is also configured, but this replication is currently disabled.
Updating Configuration Files
Initializing DR performs different actions on configuration files in the Target service.
The following entities are overridden (replaced by their counterparts from the Master service)
- Existing repositories having the same name (e.g. a repository called "maven-local" on the Target is replaced with a repository of the same name that exists on the Master)
- Property sets
The following entities are updated
- LDAP settings
- LDAP groups
- SSO configuration
In addition, any user plugins existing on the Master but missing on the Target are also created on the Target service.
This concludes the "Init" step of setting up DR. For the next steps of setting up DR, please refer to Setting Up Disaster Recovery.