You can set a central policy for using or accepting encrypted passwords in the Admin module under Security | General by setting the Password Encryption Policy field.
The behavior according to the Password Encryption Policy setting is as follows:
|Artifactory can receive requests with encrypted password (default).|
|Artifactory requires an encrypted password for every authenticated request.|
|Artifactory will reject requests with encrypted password.|
Using Your Secure Password
To secure your password:
- Open your profile page (click on your login name on the upper-right corner), type-in your password in the Current Password field and click Unlock.
- Once your profile is unlocked, click the corresponding icons next to your encrypted password to view it openly or copy it to the clipboard.
Different encryption mechanisms
The encryption mechanisms of the Oracle and IBM JDKs are not identical. Switching from one to another will make your encrypted password obsolete
IBM JDK Encryption Restrictions
Some of the IBM JRE/JDK are shipped with a restriction on the encryption key size (mostly for countries outside the US); This restriction can be officially removed by downloading unrestricted policy files from IBM and overriding the existing ones:
- Register and download the unrestricted JCE policy files from the IBM website.
- Select the correct zip that matches your JAVA version.
- The downloaded zip file contains 2 jar files -
US_export_policy.jar. Backup the existing files in
$IBM_JDK_HOME/jre/lib/securityand extract the jars from the zip file to this location
- Restart Artifactory