Setting Up Fluentd for Splunk
To set up Fluentd for Splunk, perform the following steps:
- Install Fluentd logging agent on each JPD node, as shown in the Fluentd installation guide, for tailing the various JPD log files for new log lines to parse into fields.
- Configure the installed Fluentd agent as per the configuration that matches the JFrog application running in the node, provided in JFrog log analytics Github repo.
Viewing JFrog Log Data in Splunk
Forward the aggregated log data available through Fluentd to Splunk for searching, analyzing and visualizing the data. The JFrog Logs app for Splunk is available in Splunkbase. Download and install the app to connect the JFrog Platform log data to your existing Splunk account. Restart the Splunk instance after the app is installed from the Splunkbase. The app helps process extracted logs for the JFrog Platform and includes a diagnostic dashboard view for Artifactory and Xray.
Once the app is installed, the JFrog Logs dashboard presents timeline and count data for the following key operating metrics:
- Log volumes, which can be filtered by type
- Service errors
- HTTP response codes
- Accessed image
- Accessed repositories
- Data transfers in GB for uploads/downloads
- Top 10 IPs for upload/download
- Audit actions by username
- Denied actions and logins by IP and username
- Accepted deploys by username
If you need more, you can use the unified data to build your own custom dashboard widgets in Splunk, to gain the operating insights you need. For more detailed instructions on the Splunk integration refer to the JFrog github project.