Artifactory does not support manifest lists (fat manifests).
The spec for the Image Manifest V2, Schema 2 introduced the concept of a manifest list (multi-architecture images). A manifest list can be used to, among other things, specify different tags of the same image depending on the OS. This works by first deploying the images/tags and then deploying a manifest list that makes reference to those images. Artifactory does not accept these manifest lists whereas Dockerhub does.
1. Set up Artifactory 5.1.4 with a remote Docker registry to DockerHub
2. Try to pull estesp/busybox
3. Observe the failure to properly read the manifest file
1. Set up Artifactory 5.1.4 with a local Docker registry
2. Pull busybox
3. Tag busybox to reference Artifactory (<URL>/busybox:amd)
4. Tag busybox again with a different tag (<URL>/busybox:intel)
5. Push the images to Artifactory
6. Set up and build this project (https://github.com/estesp/manifest-tool)
7. Create a YAML file that outlines the manifest list (for example)
8. Push the image list, for example:
9. Observe the failure
10. Repeat the procedure on Dockerhub and notice that it succeeds