If the configured crowd server is down or unreachable at the start of artifactory. Artifactory will not try to auth crowd user even if crowd server becomes available again. It looks like artifactory only check crowd connection during init or after configuration changed, but not before login.
- Set up Artifactory, and points it to a crowd server that you are about to start but not yet exist.
- Start the crowd server, and try login in as crowd user.
- You will see 'Username or password are incorrect' in login window. In access log, you see denied login, and in crowd server, you see no request. Artifactory did not try authentication with the crowd server.
- Restart Artifactory server, and crowd login works smoothly.
- Shut down both artifactory and crowd server.
- Start artifactory first and then start the crowd server.
- Try login with crowd user, and you found the same result as step 3
- Restart artifactory, or start crowd server before artifactory, login works.
save the crowd settings to a dummy value and save it back. No restart needed, crowd login will work.