This is going to be a bit of a long one because the circumstances seem very specific.
- I am using 'rbenv' to change Ruby versions on my devbox but this was first found on our CI system.
- "gem install" through Artifactory fails with some versions of a ruby gem if my local ruby version is Ruby 2.5
- "gem install" with the same gem works if I'm using Ruby 2.1
- No failures occur.
- vanagon 0.15.16 installs on my machine, regardless of ruby version, when I have my ~/.gemrc file pointed at https://rubygems.org/
- vanagon 0.15.16 installs on my machine, but only with Ruby 2.1, when I have my ~/.gemrc file pointed at https://artifactory.delivery.puppetlabs.net/artifactory/api/gems/rubygems/
- I have not yet determined what the maximum Ruby version is that still works.
- https://artifactory.delivery.puppetlabs.net/artifactory/api/gems/rubygems/ is a virtual repository that includes rubygems_local and rubygems_remote.
- rubygems_remote proxies https://rubygems.org/. I will send a screenshot of my rubygems_remote configuration if you would like
I believe this is a bug because Artifactory behavior and Rubygems behavior are not the same. I should be able to "gem install" vanagon-0.15.16 regardless of the version of ruby I'm using as long as it fits the gem's specification.