Helm only works with Virtual and in the case of Edge node we cannot able to point the Edge remote to Virtual and getting the below error "only smart remote repositories are supported on edge license"
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create helm-remote repository in Source Artifactory instance which is having Internet access pointing to upstream URL "https://getambassador.io"
2. Create helm-virtual and add the helm-remote to this virtual repo.
3. Point the helm client to Virtual and fetch the charts will work as expected.
#helm repo add helm https://ARTIFACTORY_URL/helm --username admin
#helm fetch helm/ambassador --version 4.4.2
4. Create another Edge node Artifactory instance which does not have internet access and create a helm-remote pointing to Remote repository of the source Artifactory instance.
5. Create a Virtual repo in the Edge Artifactory instance and add the helm-remote to the virtual repo.
6. Point the helm client to the Virtual repo in the Edge instance and try to fetch helm chart which will try pulling the charts from external URL(internet) and will give you a timeout error.
7. Observe the index.yaml is updated with the External URLs but not with the Source Artifactory instance URLs.
8. You will observe the index.yaml will be fetched from the Source which is not updated with the Source URLs and please find the below-attched logs and index.yaml file for reference.