Using the newest version of Rubygems to pull gems from a remote repo in Artifactory causes an accumulation of HTTP connections that do not close and eventually cause gem requests to become unresponsive.
1) On linux install artifactory with a remote repo configured to rubygems.org
2) Install rubygems version 2.4.5. Command: sudo env REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM=1 gem update --system
3) Add the source to your gem config as detailed here: http://www.jfrog.com/confluence/display/RTF/RubyGems+Repositories#RubyGemsRepositories-Usage
4) Execute this command: netstat -tonp | grep java
5) Install a gem. Command: sudo gem install hoe
6) Execute this command: netstat -tonp | grep java
7) Install a gem. Command: sudo gem install jetty
Result) Note the changes in open connections that are not cleaned up.
This issue sounds similar to this NuGet issue: https://www.jfrog.com/jira/browse/RTFACT-6987