Currently, we do not encrypt the storage properties file itself, although we do have a feature request for that.
We do have a way to support the use of an encrypted password inside of the storage.properties file:
- Use Artifactory to encrypt the password in another location (e.g. remote repository configuration)
- Copy the encrypted password to the storage.properties file
- Remove the encrypted password from the remote repository configuration.
The specific steps are:
- Using the UI navigate to 'Admin' tab -> 'Security' -> 'General'
- Click on the 'Encrypt' button to Configure your Artifactory to encrypt all passwords.
- Go to one of your remote repositories' configuration-screen
- 'Admin' tab -> 'Configuration' -> 'Repositories' -> right click on a remote-repository -> 'Edit' -> 'Advanced Settings' tab
- Fill the database password on the 'password' field and save the configuration.
- Browse to view the Configuration Descriptor content:
- 'Admin' tab -> 'Advanced' -> 'Config Descriptor'
- Search Configuration Descriptor content for the section pertaining to the remote repository where you added the database password and locate the <password> tag within it which will contain the database encrypted password.
- Cut the password from the config descriptor, click on Save, (so that your repository uses the password,) and paste the password into the storage.properties file.
- Usually you will add a line to storage.properties that looks like 'password=AM5Q7cX3yWxwjhtCrk2nMuBczNY', or similar